Pilot Training FAQ

Here are some of the more commonly asked questions by those who have a passion for flying. If you have any unanswered questions, do get in touch with us.

Will I have to study full-time?

Yes. Our pilot training courses are specifically catered to committed students.

What are the different types of licences?

As a result of acquiring your Student Pilot Licence (SPL), you can begin with ground school and flight training. You cannot do much with an SPL; you only need it before you can fly solo. However, it is a necessary step to obtain higher pilot certification.

The following licence on the list, the Private Pilot Licence (PPL), is the most common. It permits you to be a pilot-in-command of an aircraft for private or recreational use only. The Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) allows you to be paid for your pilot services.

The Multi-Engine Instrument Rating (MEIR) allows you to operate an aircraft with more than one engine without reference to the horizon. Nevertheless, it is not a licence. The highest level licence for a pilot is the Airline Transport Flying Licence (ATPL), and it is required to fly with major airlines.

How long does it take to obtain a licence?

A PPL typically takes 40-50 hours of flight time. A CPL will take 150-200 hours of flight time. The time to obtain the licence is dependent on how frequently you fly and your commitment to training.

Will I get airsick?

Airsickness is entirely subjected to the individual. Some people will tend to feel airsick initially, but as time passes, they may feel more confident in the aircraft. Hence, significantly reducing the chance of being airsick.

Is there much home study involved?

For PPL, a limited amount of study is required on your own time. A CPL demands a serious commitment to complete the required exams.

How long does each lesson last?

You will typically spend around two hours per lesson at the academy – one hour in the air, the remaining hour split between classroom briefing, aircraft preparation, and debriefing.

Where can I fly when I receive my licence?

After obtaining your CPL through our affiliated flying centres, your licence will be validated so that you can fly through the airspace within the country that issues the licence. Your licence is recognized under ICAO. A conversion is required to fly in other ICAO countries.

What are the medical requirements for a student pilot?

A PPL requires a Class 2 Medical and a CPL a Class 1 Medical. Each medical requirements are different, with a deliberate Class 1 Medical (CPL). If you have any known medical conditions, you should consult with a Designated Aviation Medical Examiner (DAME) before commencing your training.

Can I take passengers to my lessons?

Once you have passed your Private Pilot Licence (PPL), you can take passengers on approved lessons.

What kind of aircraft can I fly?

Most of our students choose to learn to fly in a Cessna 152 or Cessna 172.

At what age should I start my flying lessons to pursue a career in aviation?

You can start right after you have completed your high school education. Most of our students begin at the age of 18, but you can start as early as 17.

Do I need to study maths or science at school?

You do not need to study maths or science at school to obtain a pilot licence. However, having this knowledge certainly does help. In addition to that, these subjects are often entry requirements into employment.

Who will conduct my training?

All your training will be conducted by a fully qualified commercial pilot who holds a flight instructor rating.

Is flying safe?

Flying is as safe as you make it; however, there are inherent dangers with any activity. During your training, you will be equipped with all the necessary flying skills to ensure any non-normal situation is handled effectively.

I wear glasses, or I might be color blind. Can I be a pilot?

You can be a pilot if you wear glasses. However, if you are suspected to be color blind, you should seek specific guidance directly from your DAME. Nevertheless, if you are confirmed of color blindness by a DAME, you cannot pursue pilot training.

What are the minimum requirements for airline employment?

You will require a CPL, Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, and theory modules for Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) for direct entry to most airlines. Generally, airlines will publish their minimum criteria for pilot applications on their website.

What happens if the engine fails in a single-engine aircraft?

The aircraft will glide, and it is under the control of the pilot. Such an event is rare, and most pilots in their flying life will never experience it. Your training is conducted in areas where there are many large fields available for landing.