Aircraft Maintenance Engineering FAQ

Here are some of the more commonly asked questions by those thinking about pursuing a career in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering.

If you have any unanswered questions please do not hesitate to contact us.


Do you offer full time courses?

Yes. Detailed courses can be found in our Courses section. These detailed courses will give full breakdowns of course duration and costs.

What is the difference between an Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) and Aerospace Engineering?

AMEs deal with maintaining the airworthiness of an aircraft and also certifying that it is fit for flight. Aerospace Engineering is concerned with designing and building an aircraft or spacecraft.

What is the body which issues the licences?

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is an agency of the European Union (EU) with regulatory and executive tasks in the field of civilian aviation safety. EASA will issue the licence upon completion of training at an approved EASA part-147 training centre and with sufficient work experience in the aviation industry.

 Which parts of an aircraft would I be maintaining as an AME?

Your role as an AME depends on the licence you obtain when you complete the course. AME consists of 2 areas of study B1: Mechanical, B2: Avionics. A B1 licenced engineer would work on jet engines and aircraft systems such as electrical, flight controls, hydraulics and pressurization. On the other hand, a B2 licenced engineer would be responsible for the aircraft’s electrical, instrument, communication and navigation systems. When enrolling for your training, you may choose to enroll for either a B1 or B2 licence, or pursue a dual licence which is a combination of B1 and B2.

What qualification can I obtain from the training?

Upon completion of the program, you will be issued a Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering as part of the tertiary academic requirement and also a frozen licence.

 How long does it take to complete the course?

It typically takes a student 2 to 2.5 years to complete the program.

What is the work experience required to become a fully Licenced AME?

After you graduate from  an approved EASA part-147 training centre, you would need to work in the aviation industry for up to 2 years before your licence is activated.

What is the difference between pursuing a Degree in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and a Licensed based program?

Generally, the aviation industry requires an individual to have a licence to certify an aircraft. In most cases, degree holders are required to acquire a licence before they are able to become a full fledged AME, which entails the completion of the Licensing Program. Acquiring a licence is the fastest route to becoming a Licensed AME.

 What is the importance of enrolling into an EASA part-147 training centre?

The difference between enrolling with an EASA part-147 approved centre and one which isn’t becomes apparent with the amount of time required to obtain the Licence. It could take up to 7 years of practical experience for an engineer who is trained at a centre without the EASA part-147 approval, whereas it would only take a maximum of  2 years of practical experience for an individual who is trained at an EASA part-147 approved training facility.

Where would I work when i get my AME Diploma/Licence?

Airlines and Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO). You can choose to work any where in the world with the internationally acclaimed EASA licence.

Would I be learning locally or abroad?

Our EASA approved schools are located in Brisbane, Australia and Xiamen, China. However, we also have a twinning program where you can do 6 months in Asian Aviation Centre of Excellence (AACE) which is located in Sepang, Malaysia and the remainder 1.5-2 years in Brisbane, Australia.

Would I required to learn Chinese if i choose to study in HAECO training centre in Xiamen, China?

Since HAECO is a EASA part-147 training centre, all the training will be conducted in English.

With my AME licence, would I be able to fly?

Unfortunately, you would need to acquire a pilot licence to fly.

Would the course be predominantly theoretical or practical?

EASA has stipulated that AME training involves both theoretical and practical aspect of things. During the course of the training, the students will go through a sequence of subjects and corresponding practical training.

At what age can I start my AME training to pursue a career in aviation?

You can start right after you have completed your high school education. Typically, most of our students begin at the age of 18 but you may start as early as the age of 17.

Do I need to be studying maths or science at school?

You do not need to study science or maths at school to obtain a AME Licence. Having this knowledge certainly does help, but is in no way a requirement. Individual airline or MROs recruiting websites will list requirements for employment.

Would I be required to undergo a medical test?

You would be required to undergo a general medical examination for visa application purposes.

How do I get started?

Call or send us an e-mail to set an appointment with one of our counselors.